Hi Everybody! How was your Christmas? For the subscribers, how many of you did my special Christmas Day challenge?? How was it? (If you aren't subscribed yet, it's not too late to join the fun! Click here for more information and to sign up so you don't miss exclusive challenge emails!)
Today's challenge is back to focusing on our legs with lunges. Lunges are another great exercise that focus on your quadriceps, and they can also target your calves, too. Here's what you're doing:
- Start with one foot stepped in front of the other, hands on your hips (shown below, A).
- Lower yourself straight down, bending both knees, keeping your chest up and looking forward.
- Raise yourself back up to start.
- Repeat this for as many reps as you can on one leg. Then switch legs and repeat.
- Tip: keep your front knee in line with your ankle when you're in the downward phase of the lunge. This will not only keep unnecessary pressure off of your quads (they're getting a good workout already!), but it will also keep your knees happy!
Here are a few options to switch it up if you feel the need:
- Option 1: elevate your back leg - place your back leg flat on a chair, bed, or other flat surface while lunging.
- Option 2: add some cardio with jump lunges - instead of doing lunges on all one leg and then switching, switch between every rep by propelling yourself up and switching legs mid-air, then landing (light on your feet!) in a lunge on the opposite leg. Repeat that motion for as many reps as you can. (Note: be careful with this one if you have knee or ankle problems.)
- Option 3: pulses - once you're in the lowered position, pulse yourself up and down quickly, similar to the pulse squats. You could eve do a combo of regular lunges and pulses.
Enjoy working those legs today! Remember to comment on the blog or use hashtag #12daysfit on social media! We need to encourage each other! Enjoy your day and keep an eye out for more mini challenges later this week! And most importantly, have fun! Until tomorrow, have a healthy and happy day ahead! Can't wait to see your progress!