Merry Christmas!! I hope you're all enjoying the holiday with your family today. This time of year brings quite a bit of joy into my life and makes me very thankful for the little things. I'm happy to be able to share it with you all and I encourage you to share some things you are thankful for this year!
Now, onto today's challenge! If you didn't catch on yet, we've been cycling through body parts every day so far and today's focus brings us back to our arms. Today I want you to focus on your triceps. The tricep dip is a great exercise that really targets that muscle in the back of your arm. Grab a sturdy chair and some floor space and let's get started!
- Start facing away from the chair with your hands on the edges, legs extended out in front of you (pictured below, A). Be sure you're far enough out that your back doesn't scrape against the chair.
- Lower yourself down as far as you can. Try not to go past a 90 degree angle in the elbow (pictured below, B).
- Push yourself back up to starting position.
- Repeat this for as many reps as you can.
Here are some variations to try - some easier, and some a bit more challenging if you need it:
- Option 1: less challenging - instead of keeping your legs straight and heels on the ground (as shown above), try bending your knees to a 90 degree angle and keeping your feet flat. This decreases the lever arm that you're working with when dipping, which makes the exercise easier. Not to mention keeping your feet flat provides more stability.
- Option 2: slightly more challenging - Try the same position as pictured above (legs out straight), but lift one leg in the air, keeping it as straight as you can. If you do this approach, try to alternate legs after 5 or 10 reps to keep it even on both sides.
- Option 3: more challenging - if you still need a challenge, try elevating both feet off the floor using another chair, a sturdy box, a stability ball if you have one, etc. (Be careful in the stability ball though as it tends to roll around. Catch your balance first, and then dip.)
Just like the last few days, do this two times throughout today. Sitting around the living room chatting? Grab a chair and get started! Opening presents around the tree? That's a great time to get them in! Sitting around a fire telling stories and catching up with extended family? Get them involved, too! Good luck and please check back in with your progress! I'm excited to hear how you're doing! For all of you who are signed up for the challenge, check your inboxes a little bit later for another mini challenge for today to get you AND your family up and about! Merry Christmas!