Happy New Year's Day, everyone!! Can you believe it's already 2015? I can't! Where'd last year go?? As you bring in the new year, think about the transformations you promised yourself last year. Did you accomplish them? If fitness and working out were on the list, how'd you do? Are those same resolutions on your list for this year? If so, or even if you just need to get a bit of movement in your day today, here's your fitness challenge for the first day of 2015...
It's back to our abs after some heavy cardio yesterday. Today's exercise: scissors! Here's what to do:
- Start on your back with your legs raised a few inches off the ground (the closer to the ground they are, the more your abs will work). Bring your feet apart, forming a V with your legs (shown below, A). Try to keep your arms above your head if you can, but if you experience any low back pain from doing so, put your hands under your lower back/butt for support (as shown).
- Cross one leg on top of the other keeping your legs raised off the ground (B).
- Bring your legs back out to a V position, and then back in so the other leg is crossed on top (shown below, C).
- Alternate this pattern for time: try 15 seconds to start. Too easy? Up it to 30 seconds. Still not taxing your abs? Go for 1 minute.
- I'd like you to try to get through this move 3 times in one sitting, and do that 3 different times today.
- Trainer Tip: remember to BREATHE during these moves! It's very common for people to hold their breath during abdominal exercises like this, so make a conscious effort to breathe out as you cross your legs, and in as you bring them out to a V.
- Note: if at any point in time your lower back starts to ache even after you've put your hands underneath you, stop the move and come back to it after your back gets a rest.
Have fun with these! I hope you all had a wonderful celebration yesterday, and continue to ring in the new year with a healthy and happy outlook! What are you doing to celebrate? What are your goals for 2015, fitness or otherwise? Let me know! I'd love to hear. Here's to an active start to 2015! Until tomorrow, have a healthy and happy day ahead!